The Friends of San Juan National Historic Site is a non-profit organization which strives to advance the protection and preservation of the natural and cultural resources of San Juan National Historic Site. In particular, we raise funds for the conservation of historic architecture and monuments located in the Spanish colonial quarter of Puerto Rico's capital city.
Thank you for an unforgettable 2016!
As we proceed into the new year, we, the Friends of San Juan National Historic Site, have a lot to reflect upon and feel grateful for. First of all, our organization was founded in March of 2016 - just in time to catch the last half of the National Park System's Centennial celebration. Equipped with talented and generous volunteers and Park professionals, we were able to...
1. Kick off our organization's launch during National Park Week in April of 2016
2. Launch the first-ever SJNHS television Public Service Announcement to support National Park Week
3. Share in the creation of a National Park Service documentary film
4. Create a multidimensional multimedia campaign to compete for the American Express Preservation Grant against 19 other major US Parks. The campaign included all major television stations, newspapers, and digital news outlets. In fact, it constituted the pinnacle of public awareness for SJNHS during the whole year
5. Sponsor the Artisanal Craft Fair in July
6. Sponsor the NPS Centennial Concert performed by the Orquesta Sinfónica de Puerto Rico on the grounds of El Morro in August
7. Sponsor the "Take the Forts" Fun Run in August
8. Provide volunteers for NPS activities and tours of SJNHS monuments
9. Win a National Park Foundation grant to support NPS' Every Kid in a Park Presidential program to bring all fourth-grade students to the SJNHS as part of a school program. The generous $250,000 grant continues to cover transportation costs for the young adventurers.
10. Sponsor the Red Carpet Film Premiere of the above-mentioned NPS documentary film at Castillo San Cristóbal
11. Sponsor the holiday performance of the Orquesta Sinfónica de Puerto Rico on the grounds of El Morro in December
All in all, not too shabby for our first year! We are incredibly grateful to all of the SJNHS employees, volunteers, friends, and to the general public for welcoming us into the Park community with open arms and for making all of our achievements possible. We cannot wait to see what 2017 has in store for us and we hope you'll join us on this journey!
In the news...
San Juan National Historic Site launches Second Year of "Every Kid in a Park" Pass
Friends of San Juan National Historic Site is proud to announce its recent reception of a generous grant from the National Park Foundation to redouble the Park's efforts in bringing fourth-grade students from all over Puerto Rico to visit San Juan and experience their cultural heritage first-hand. Over the course of the year, the Friends will work hand-in-hand with SJNHS staff and volunteers to coordinate transportation for fourth-graders and to provide them with an unforgettable experience. Read more about this program here.
The Friends of San Juan National Historic Site work alongside park staff, volunteers, and local organizations to complete many preservation and education outreach programs throughout the year.
Help us make a difference!
The most direct way to support our mission is by making a monetary donation. Click on the button above to send a contribution via PayPal! 100% of our proceeds go back into the park and our efforts to preserve it.
All photography provided by volunteers, National Park staff, and "Friends" members..